Re: HYB:CULT: let's talk about form

Char Randall <randall83641@velocitus.net> wrote:      My personal favorite for garden iris are the domed standards, (nearly closed) with
gently ruffled rounded falls. I'm guessing that may be considered blocky?

  Don't know about the term 'blocky' but "domed standards (nearly closed)" are
  my least favorite bearded iris form. I like to see the standards as three petals
  - but not necessarily flopping over. I read the posts from the warmer, rainy climates
  that the standards don't stand up to the pounding rain. I only know that we get plenty
  of rain but I am beginning to think that the TBs (and other bearded) that do well here
  have 'stronger' petals. More waxy? Maybe because of the cold? Dunno. I do like
  gently ruffled falls but am not a fan of lace. Just a matter of taste like color combos.

  The vertical falls don't show off as well from across the lawn and you
almost have to view them from above to get the full benefit.

  Did you mean to say 'horizontal falls'?

  Cheers,

  Ellen (no iris here yet, of course)

          Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, The Siberian Iris