hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: HYB:CULT: let's talk about form

hmm,  I think Char and Ellen may have hit what I was meaning to ask.  Could we get a thread going defining some of the common form terms?  Or at least what it means to you. . o O (I knew I didn't like the chest on this one horse but if you had asked I wouldn't have been able to tell you why.  Then one day someone reffered to him as being 'bird chested' and the description was so apt....)
  Let's also include some cultivar names that we think represent these forms.
  As an example:
  Round falls- a distinctly circular shape. probably has to be held somewhat horizontal, 
  Ruffling- large waves along only the outside edge of the petals
     INDIGO PRINCESS is my favorite, CHARTREUSE RUFFLES is also good on a smaller scale.
  Fringe-much smaller waves along the outside edge of a petal like tissue paper streamers might have.
     I can't remember if it's SPLASH OF RASPBERRY, or RASPBERRY WINE... in my garden
      FIMBRIATED SPACE has great consistency, but 
      THORNBIRD gets better every year.
  Hang dog falls-  I think that's generally all historics... falls that droop like the ears of a basset hound...
  Someone was talking about narrow falls the other week...is that the same a hang dog?  Isn't this type of fall typical of Schreiners irises?
  Ok, now y'all

Ellen Gallagher <ellengalla@yahoo.com> wrote:
  Char Randall wrote: My personal favorite for garden iris are the domed standards, (nearly closed) with
gently ruffled rounded falls. I'm guessing that may be considered blocky?

Don't know about the term 'blocky' but "domed standards (nearly closed)" are 
my least favorite bearded iris form. I like to see the standards as three petals
- but not necessarily flopping over. I read the posts from the warmer, rainy climates
that the standards don't stand up to the pounding rain. I only know that we get plenty 
of rain but I am beginning to think that the TBs (and other bearded) that do well here
have 'stronger' petals. More waxy? Maybe because of the cold? Dunno. I do like 
gently ruffled falls but am not a fan of lace. Just a matter of taste like color combos.

The vertical falls don't show off as well from across the lawn and you
almost have to view them from above to get the full benefit.

Did you mean to say 'horizontal falls'?


Ellen (no iris here yet, of course)

Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, The Siberian Iris 
Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3 
Siberian iris list archives: http://www.hort.net/lists/sibrob/ 
(1996 - 1998 messages not archived)
The Society for Siberian Irises web page: http://www.socsib.org 

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement