Re: HYB: haft marks (was on photos)

Got an offlist question re: the photo of haft without marks, or rather,
the haft <without> white background.

The photo is of one of the DUSKY CHALLENGER X GRAPE ICE seedlings.  Like
HELLO DARKNESS, it has a haze of lighter color at the haft, but not
white.

In discussions last year, some folks said that black irises often have
the 'cleanest' hafts.  And crosses with those were being successfully
used to clean up hafts (Roger Duncan or Rick Tasco told me that, I
think).

From all the hafts I've seen this bloom season, it looks like blue is
more often present as a ground color on the hafts than yellow.  Every
yellow (pink, orange, red, blends etc) I've looked at so far has some
white (or blue with no yellow).

So maybe the lighter blue at the haft of the black irises is lighter
because it is missing yellow there?

With that in mind, a yellow etc (non-blue) with <no> white at the haft
is what I'm keeping an eye out for now.

The light ground with dark marks seems to be most "enthusiastic" on
irises coming from "umbrata" pattern - neglectas, amoenas etc.  Some of
the ROMANTIC EVENING kids aren't as bad here, but getting clean hafts to
show up while I'm trying to breed disease/erratic weather resistance is
going to be hard.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8