CULT: ground cover- sorrel

Hey gang,
  I know we are all in search of the perfect ground cover, and I too have joined the quest.
  In my beds currently I am encouraging a ground cover which I found out within the last half hour is oxalis cornuculata and/or oxalis grandis aka wood sorrel.  I like the way it grows low and mounds and dies off in the heat of the summer making a loose thatch.  It doesn't root very deeply, looks great between the iris and so far has been very easy to encourage.
  I am hesitant today, however, based on the new information.  According to the info I found today it can be toxic if ingested and is very invasive.  Also, I noticed a few leaves today that are quite yellow... which may be a result of the leaf spot?  A week ago there were no signs of unhappy iris.  In fact other than the season being late and a few which show signs of the leaf spot I'm not sure anyone looks stressed.
  So now I'm wondering... could the sorrel be putting toxins into the ground?  Or are they competeing for the nitrogen? It seems clear that real farmers wouldn't use it for pasture, but does anyone know of a site that might have info on what sorrel uses and what it adds?