Re: CULT: ground cover- sorrel

In a message dated 4/29/2006 7:20:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
flatnflashy@yahoo.com writes:

I  know we are all in search of the perfect ground cover, and I too have
joined  the quest.

If you are talking ground cover for the iris beds, Christian, I feel  obliged
to comment that it is generally not considered a good idea to plant  ground
hugging, or ventilation suppressing, or sogginess engendering, or rhizome
shadowing, or cootie harboring, vegetation in with one's bearded irises, which  is
what I assume you are talking about?
In other words, while some of us try to incorporate companion plants  with
the irises, many do not, and most who do, I suspect, are not  big on things that
could be called ground covers or living mulches or  what you will. Too, there
is the fact that the irises have to be lifted  periodically and it is in the
nature of ground covers to be left  undisturbed.
My own bearded iris bed is bordered with pansies and violas from  September
to the first of June, then with portulaca in the most varied and  lurid colors
I can find, with a few chrome yellow marigolds and blue salvia  tucked in for
emphasis and some plants of that tiny vermilion native morning  glory on the
fence. There are also some Euphorbia myrsinites and lavender hither  and yon.
Clearly, I do not strive for a sophisticated effect in  that part of the
garden. You see, the rest of the place is excruciatingly  tasteful I just have to
loosen my stays and get somewhat  down around the bearded bed.
Which response does not answer your question about plant specific toxicity
but may be useful in its own way. Allelopathy is a very complicated  subject,
but you probably know that.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA USDA Zone 7 --Blooming today, Farr's 'Quaker Lady'