Re: Iris aphylla - easy clean up

  • Subject: Re: Iris aphylla - easy clean up
  • From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:53:27 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I am trying to.  I look through my seedlings for plants that shed their leaves.  So far they have not been worth keeping for their lack of other nice qualities.  The "evergreen" ones weren't all that good either.  They were from a 'Halston' (far removed from I. aphylla) seedling line so I plan to look at other crosses with it and other potential parents to work with.  'Hello Darkness' sheds pretty well, but not the greatest grower for me.

A diploid, 'Taj Majal' and some of its seedlings tend to also and am working with them as well.

Would be nice (and easier!) to have a list of modern and older cultivars that shed to work with.

Paul Archer
Indianapolis, IN Zone 5