HYB: germination in heat

  • Subject: HYB: germination in heat
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:56:11 -0400

Just because they are between the tap and the pots of seedlings, I've been watering the germination pots every day. Wondering why I was doing it. Daytime temps have been around 90oF. No germination for several weeks - after all, it's way too hot for germination now, right?

Yesterday, I was astonished to see more seedlings up. Night temps were about at freezing two weeks ago, so they <were> getting additional chilling, but this really surprised me.

This is the third (or maybe even the fourth?) flush of germination from these seeds which were burrito'd, then planted in pots and moved outdoors after the first one or two flushes.

Linda Mann
TN