Re: OT - snow in NY

At 02:06 PM 4/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>To Ellen, Dorothy, Kathy and Rima,
>and to the folks in Utah who have the little brother of our April Fool party.
> It is often  speculated that the pilgrims were none too smart landing on
>Plymouth Rock when the whole east coast lay there unclaimed.  I know, I know
>we complain a great deal about weather but we have so much of it!!!
>The last 24 hours have been without the services of Ni-Mo (NY power giant
>with giant prices) affording us the pleasure of sharing our living room
>(woodstove) with flats and flats of seedlings.  Our rural paradise had no
>water allowing us to access the pond with a hatchet and high boots.  We are
>perfumed with Coleman fuel.  Our rule is to bring out the real survival gear
>after 24 hours (generators).
>So here came the electricity - about 25  minutes ago............
>Claire Peplowski
>With wind howling and drifts forming but with the power back.
>East Nassau, New York
It's no coincidence that I moved to Tennessee after the great blizzard of
.79 in Chicago. But even here this cold snap brought devastation. This
morning it was 29F and my half dozen blooming red Apeldorn tulips all did
180s and were facing the ground. By noon it was over 50 and they were
recovering, but it is supposed to get below freezing again tonight. A
strange season. I finished mowing the meadow after dark, then started a fire
in the wood stove.
James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
First iris bloom, a white generic MDB, on 3/31!