  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT -- CUT FLOWER LIFE
  • From: Kathleen Shinners <kathy@max.tiac.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 20:39:37 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, rimat wrote:

> John I Jones wrote:
> > >
> > > Rima... some time ago I read on this VERY list that irises will last longest
> > > if you actually put them in a mixture of citrus and sugar... IOW - Sprite!
> >
> Does this literally mean lemon or orange or grapefruit juice?
> Rima  terra@catskill.net
Actually, I think it's the CO2. At a NE greenhouse conference I attended
a postharvest care seminar, and this is what the speaker said, and that
the effects would only last about 10 hours. He also said that any of the
other home-style remedies (aspirin, pennies, etc.) had little effect if
any. His conclusion was that using a commercial preservative such as
Chrysal was the way to go. There are certain flowers that benefit from
other lesser-known treatments, such as silver thiosulfate (Argylene), but
I'm not sure if it benefits irises. It seems to be indicated for blooms
with a tendency to shatter.

Kathy Shinners
Honeysuckle Rose Flower Farm
Tewksbury, Massachusetts