Pseudacorus in the wild

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Pseudacorus in the wild
  • From: "R. Dennis Hager" <rdhager@dmv.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:45:15 -0700 (MST)

> What's the evidence for pseudacorus being aggressive and crowding out
> native plants?  Anyone?

I live on a tidal river flowing into the Chesapeake. A neighbor about
1/2 mile downriver has a huge clump of pseudacorus growing on the bank.
It has been there for over 25 years. I have explored five miles down
river by canoe and have never seen pseudacorus in the wild there--just
the nice pale blue of I. virgnica or I. versicolor. From the way that
Louisianas behave in my bog garden, I would be more concerned with
letting them loose.

R. Dennis Hager
on Delmarva