Re: CULT: Foliage!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Foliage!
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 22:05:57 -0700 (MST)

Hi Anner!
      You write (1 Apr 97):
> Would someone please tell me what the AIS judging guidelines are for
> To what extent does it determine the final assesment of the plant? I have
> been thinking about writing an impassioned little essay on the
> of irises as foliage plants, an area in which I feel they are grossly
> underappreciated.

The point scale for garden judging of TB iris assigns 10 points out of 100
to the foliage. The guidelines for awarding these points arew as follows:

     "No plant is worthy of consideration if its foliage is floppy, narrow,
or sparse. Each leaf should be crisp, erect and of sufficient width. The
foliage should not display excessive discoloration or leaf spot if
neighboring varieties appear vibrant and healthy. It is the foliage that
remains during the entire growing season, and the judge is particularly
admonished to search out those varieties which maintain foliage of
exceptional quality. Skimpy or floppy foliage will require that the variety
be penalized the full ten points."

That said, I cannot regard the typical TB iris as it grows here as an
outstanding foliage plant.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
"This is the Place" - where all I can see now is the tips of green spears
poking through the snow!