Kathleen Shinners wrote:

> > Does this literally mean lemon or orange or grapefruit juice?
> > Rima  terra@catskill.net
> >
> Actually, I think it's the CO2. At a NE greenhouse conference I attended
> a postharvest care seminar, and this is what the speaker said, and that
> the effects would only last about 10 hours. He also said that any of the
> other home-style remedies (aspirin, pennies, etc.) had little effect if
> any. His conclusion was that using a commercial preservative such as
> Chrysal was the way to go. There are certain flowers that benefit from
> other lesser-known treatments, such as silver thiosulfate (Argylene), but
> I'm not sure if it benefits irises. It seems to be indicated for blooms
> with a tendency to shatter.

If no one else has it I will see if I can find the original post on the

The short answer is yes actual lemon juice with some sugar, but I find
having a bottle of Sprite handy is much more expedient. Dissolved CO2 I
think creates an acidic environment (not sure) so it might function as
the citric acid does. As far as Chrysal is concerned I think it is
primarily citric acid and sugar. (not sure so if someone knows please

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.