CULT: Maps

Labels are convenient.  (Some of my plants have three -- seedling #, pedigree, &
TBR name.)

Charts and maps are much more reliable.  (Even an easy-to-read list like:  Row
#, planted north-to-south.)

But the ultimate in safe record-keeping ties everything together with a
Cartesian coordinate system.   Using any corner of any bed as a reference point
and the orthogonal distances from it measure in inches, I can determine exactly
what's SUPPOSED to be in that position.   Sounds like overkill  -- until you're
faced with something like my spring task of verifying the identity of iris in
flood-damaged beds.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)
In normally dry southern New Mexico