Re: SPEC:Pseudacorus-An appreciation/cat tails

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC:Pseudacorus-An appreciation/cat tails
  • From: rimat <terra@catskill.net>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 12:31:14 -0700 (MST)

> The cream form and species yellow grow side by side.
> >  Artemesia under dry overhangs,> hemerocallis fulva on poor soil banks for instance.>  Pseudacorus is stately on water's edge.
> Our> plants were introduced by covering cattails with a 4x8 sheet of plywood for> one year to provide the pseudacorus a fair start.  Both grow happily side by> side.
> > Claire Peplowski
> ECPep@aol.com
> East Nassau, NY (zone 4) refraining from weather commentary (sun is shining).
> Hi claire--

I've never seen a cream colored pseudacorus; I'd love to find some
somewhere.  Also, you mention covering the cattails.  The cattails that
appeared in my pond were very quickly taking over.  I hired a kid and we
cut them as close under the water as we could to control the spread.  It
seemed to work last year -- I guess I'll have to do the same this year.
But don't your cattails invade heavily -- in my experience they aren't
happ side by side with anything and were threatening my pseudacors and
sibs. What is hemerocallis fulva?  I have a large sunny bank with lousy
soil.  Will this help?