moving iris question

Hello all!

After being away from home for almost 4 weeks, it was exciting to come home
to a yard full of both Dutch and TB irises blooming, all for me.  They were
all transplanted last fall, and seem to be exceedingly happy, they never
bloomed this well at the last location.  There are many of the unknown
historicals from across the street, and a few of the known varieties.
Yellow unknowns from the historicals, and purple from NMSU physics building
seem to be the most abundant.

I have a question for all the experts.  We plan to move to NE Washington
next april or may, and wonder, how do we move the irises?  When to dig them
up to transport?  How to store them during the 2 weeks or maybe more when
they will be out of the ground?  Do amarylis transplant well?  (I know that
is not an iris, but I know that you folks are not that narrow minded, either)

Thanks for the information, I know I can count on you folks.

Sharon A. Ruck,  the herb and Harley Davidson lady