Re: CULT: Foliage!

Henryanner@aol.com wrote:

> Dennis reminded us:
>
> << Remember - when judging - the plant is judged too.......>>
>
> Would someone please tell me what the AIS judging guidelines are for foliage?
*********
Anner - here is the breakdown from the handbook:
TB's - 10 points for foliage, 15 points for durability of foliage and clump.
SDB's - 10 points for foliage and plant
MTB's - 10 points for foliage
IB's - 10 points for foliage and plant
BB's - 10 points for plant and foliage
SIB's - 10 points for foliage, 15 points for Garden effect, vigor and
stamina.
MDB's - 10 points for leaves and stalk, 10 points for vigor.

As you can see, the standards are a little different for some varieties.
Under durability for TB's "An iris variety should perform dependly as a clump
for 3 consecutive bloom seasons.  Only the serious iris fancier is willing to
replant more frequently.
The plant should sparkle with vigor and good health.  It should thrive under
good cultural conditions, but it must not demand pampering.  A tall bearded
iris variety should produce between 3-5 increases per rhizome per year.  If
it does not, it should lose most of the 15 points. (TAKE NOTE!)
How well does the variety perform in spite of temperature extremes?  Colder
climates are disastrous for some varieties while others might brown and
shrivel in intense summer heat.  A hardy perennial must never be a
temperamental one.
Under adverse conditions, irises can develope problems.  Good drainage is an
absolute requirement for tall bearded culture.  By comparing surrounding
varieties grown under similar cultural conditions, one can determine if the
variety should be penalized.  Obvious susceptibility to disease is cause for
disqualifying the variety from any consideration for awards."
This is what the Handbook says.  YOU be the judge when you visit gardens.

Also - I tell people when I do teaching - go and visit gardens early spring
(before bloom), and mid-summer (after bloom) to look at the foliage and
overall clumps.  3-5 increases per rhizome per year...interesting!

Dennis