Moving iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Moving iris
  • From: "Elaine Grings" <egrings@mcn.net>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 20:40:47 -0700 (MST)

 Sharon:

 Here's my strange but true iris moving story. In the spring of 1991, I
 moved from Northern Idaho to Eastern Montana. I had just started growing
 irises a few years before and had several varieties I was fond of. Not
 about to leave the irises behind, I dug them up (After they had started to
 grow, but before any  stalks had started) and placed them (with some dirt
 on their roots) in a cardboard box. Away we went. I spent the first year in
 an apartment with no where to plant the irises. Rather than give up and
 just throw them out, I placed the box in a seldom used room with no windows
 and a very constant temperature. A year later, in May, I bought a house.
 The first item of business was to get the irises into the ground. (Early
 June is iris bloom around here - same as N Idaho).  They survived and
 produced foliage the first year. It wasn't until the second or  third year
 that they bloomed, but after what they had been though, I was tickeled! I
 now have ALLOUETTE, MEET THE BOSS, BRAZILIA and BROOK  FLOWER in my Montana
 garden for having such faith in the survival power of these irises. (One of
 the reasons I'm fond of iris - they can withstand my neglect and still
 produce gorgeous blooms every year).

 Several other varieites were closer to blooming at moving time. They were
 potted and allowed to bloom. I enjoyed the blooms that year, but those
 rhizomes rotted before I moved into the house.

 I'm curious. You got several interpretations about moving to NE Washington.
 I assumed you meant Washington State, but I see others interpreted it to
 mean NE DC.  Which is it?

 Best of luck in getting the irises transported.