Re: moving iris question

Sharon A. Ruck wrote:
> I have a question for all the experts.  We plan to move to NE Washington
> next april or may, and wonder, how do we move the irises?  When to dig them
> up to transport?  How to store them during the 2 weeks or maybe more when
> they will be out of the ground?  Do amarylis transplant well?  (I know that
> is not an iris, but I know that you folks are not that narrow minded, either)

Is that April or May '98? If that's the case then we have a lot of time.
Its really easy! Here's what you do - this summer when it's normal
digging time, dig all your iris. Trim and label them. Then separate out
one of each and send them ALL TO ME!! :>))  (Picture John rubbing his
hands together, and drooling at the thought)

I'll plant them here til the following summer, then dig them and send
them back to you (with only a couple of increases missing...) much
better for your irises than ripping them out of the ground during bloom
and growth season. ;>))

Depending on which Washington it is, you could even stop and visit them
on your way...

Amarylis I'm not so good at.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.