Re: moving iris question

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: moving iris question
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 21:14:02 -0700 (MST)

Sharon A. Ruck wrote:

> I have a question for all the experts.  We plan to move to NE Washington
> next april or may, and wonder, how do we move the irises?  When to dig them
> up to transport?  How to store them during the 2 weeks or maybe more when
> they will be out of the ground?  Do amarylis transplant well?  (I know that
> is not an iris, but I know that you folks are not that narrow minded, either)
> Thanks for the information, I know I can count on you folks.

Probably the easiest solution to moving your iris would be bare root.
Dig the iris a few days before the move and let them dry.  Place them
standing up in paper grocery bags (better air circulation).  When you
get to Washington you should be able to plant them immediately or soon
after.  This depends on the last frost date.  Planting after the last
frost date will not set them back as much.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California....The last two days produced gale force winds.  The
iris stood up to it surprisingly well.
Zone 8