CULT: bone meal

Another quote (not from Dr. Gadjusak):

"Hamburgers...used by people as food.. are made from dead cattle...gets in
your mouth...would you eat one?  I wouldn't."

How many cattle have mad cow disease?

What are the chances of such a cow slipping past inspectors and being
slaughtered for meat?

What is the danger from inhaling a couple of micrograms of bone meal
compared to eating a 12-oz. rare steak?

The organic component of bone is minimal and most bone meal is steamed
before packaging.  Can the infectious particles of MCD (prions), which are
protiens, survive steaming (or cooking, for that matter) intact?  Are they
found in bones at all?

If the idea in life is to avoid all risk----???

Sorry if this seems to be over-reacting, but with so many REAL
environmental risks all around us, I just can't get concerned about this

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943