OT: Hemerocallis fulva

>Rima:
>     You write (2 Apr 97):
>> What is hemerocallis fulva?  I have a large sunny bank with lousy
>> soil.  Will this help?
>
>Hemerocallis fulva is the species form of daylily with reddish orange
>flowers ("fulva" means reddish orange in Latin - the scientific name of the
>red fox is Vulpes fulva) that has escaped from cultivation and was (is) a
>common roadside plant in the Northeast (talk about I. pseudacorus being
>invasive). It is a common plant in older gardens here, but can't establish
>itself in the wild in the face of our bone-dry summers.
>
>Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
>cwalters@cache.net

Hemerocallis fulva is everywhere in Virgina with vast banks of it on
roadsides, etc.  It seems to flourish in any environment from swamps to dry
hillsides.  Interestingly, the plant is a sterile triploid and never
produces seeds, so all this spread has to be accomplished vegetatively!  In
some cases its appearance in a given spot is totally mysterious.

There is an unattractive double form, 'Kwanso', sometimes offered for sale,
but which also pops up in the wild from time to time.

Last word on Hemerocallis: my two favorites are H. lilioasphodelus (which
is now in bud) and H. altissimus, which reaches 6 ft in height and blooms
in late September. The famous 'Stella d'Oro' neither reblooms nor blooms
continously here, just has a regular season, but multiplies outrageously
fast.

Does anyone know of a hemerocallis-l?

Bill Shear
Department of Biology