Re: moving iris question

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: moving iris question
  • From: David Silverberg <sil1812@molalla.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:21:00 -0700 (MST)

Sharon A. Ruck wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> After being away from home for almost 4 weeks, it was exciting to come home
> to a yard full of both Dutch and TB irises blooming, all for me.  They were
> all transplanted last fall, and seem to be exceedingly happy, they never
> bloomed this well at the last location.  There are many of the unknown
> historicals from across the street, and a few of the known varieties.
> Yellow unknowns from the historicals, and purple from NMSU physics building
> seem to be the most abundant.
>
> I have a question for all the experts.  We plan to move to NE Washington
> next april or may, and wonder, how do we move the irises?  When to dig them
> up to transport?  How to store them during the 2 weeks or maybe more when
> they will be out of the ground?  Do amarylis transplant well?  (I know that
> is not an iris, but I know that you folks are not that narrow minded, either)
>
> Thanks for the information, I know I can count on you folks.
>
> ><>----- %^) ----- ;*} ----- 8+] ---- :^> ----- ?-} -----<><
> Sharon A. Ruck,  the herb and Harley Davidson lady
> sharon@software.nsbf.nasa.gov
> http://master.nsbf.nasa.gov/sharon/sharon.html
Hi Sharon;

It is true, if you could move them this year, after bloom, during
regular harvest, it would indeed, be best for the irises, but if that is
impossible, the other advice you have had about digging and cleaning is
really good, although, I would recommend putting the rhizomes in onion
sacks rather than paper bags. this allows for air circulation, and if
you are going to have to store them for several weeks, it will help cut
down on the possibility of aphids, which we have sometimes found to be a
problem when using paper sacks. Also, if you have a large quantity of
any one iris, it is really easy to attach a label to the onion sack, and
no matter what happens, you will know what is in that sack. Paper bags
can get wet, and the bottom can fall out of them so easily, especially
when you are doing a move like that, and have other people helping you,
who may not understand the finer points of being careful to keep things
separate.  Onion sacks come in two sizes, and we use them al the time.
We have left irises in them for months when necessary. Hope this helps.
Lots of luck!!

Nancy,
Molalla, Or where the wind thinks it needs to be heard today, and I
don't agree!!