Re: OT-PLANTS: moving amaryllis

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT-PLANTS: moving amaryllis
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:44:40 -0700 (MST)

Celia Storet writes in response to Sharon Ruck's request:

> Hey, Sharon. You don't say which amaryllis. Are you talking about
> Belladonna or one of the Hippeastrums, which are often used as
> at Christmas or Easter?

Around here, Lycoris squamigera is referred to as the "Hardy Amaryllis",
and the first part of the name at least is true. It must transplant,
because I got my start from a friend, but when I tried to move it (during
dormancy) I skewered the bulb with my digging fork, so I don't have any
techniques to suggest. I did the same thing with an Allium giganteum last
fall. Guess I better go with orthogonal coordinates or stick with iris
whose rhizomes are visible from the surface!

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
"This is the Place" - where we were just getting back to Spring, when the
weatherman forecast snow for tomorrow!