Re: SPE-CULT Iris dichotoma

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPE-CULT Iris dichotoma
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:21:39 -0700 (MST)

<< I grew this for two years and each year it bloomed profusely during June
 in my climate.  I remember it was very shy on increase and tried to
 bloomout, doing so in the second year.  It just dried up and died like a
 biennial.  I liked it quite a bit as it developed a tall spike with
 small iris like flowers that seemed to bloom forever.  The World of Iris
 mentions that it self seeds but I never saw any in the two years I had
 it.  >>
Rick,

Could you detail how you obtained blooming size plants.  You climate is
hugely different from us but we might compensate with lights and heat
indoors.

Did you begin with seed?  I think my seed source from the SIGNA list was in
Kentucky.  I asked about pH as I am aware low pH soils keep some plants
smaller than they might be in neutral soils.  (Hosta for instance).  Any help
is appreciated.

Claire Peplowski
ECPep@aol.com
Upstate NY where there is no cause to complain today, sunny and calm.