Re: OT-PLANTS: moving amaryllis

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT-PLANTS: moving amaryllis
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:22:59 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey wrote:

> >Do amaryllis transplant well?
> Hippeastrums only do well outdoors in Zone 8 and below (every
> year I ask Mom if I can put mine outdoors and she tells me not to). You
> need to ask somebody up there what the story is.
> celia
> storey@aristotle.net
> Little Rock, Arkansas USDA Zone 7b
>     Hippeastrums are much tougher than you think.  I mentioned earlier
that they survived a freeze of -5o.  Everybody around here grows them
outside.  I remember seeing amarylis in bloom in a convention garden in
Memphis in 1989, so that tells you how far north they can survive outside.

     I wish I could find some orange and purple ones I saw at the La
Convention in Layfayette, LA.

     Walter Moores
     Enid Lake, MS 7/8