Re: OT-Mad cows and the Great Chain of Being

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT-Mad cows and the Great Chain of Being
  • From: John Montgomery/Monashee Perennials <monashee@bcgrizzly.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 02:56:19 -0700 (MST)

Anner wrote
At 12:29 PM 97/04/04 -0700,
. However, it is my own opinion that
>the feeding of the flesh of their own kind, however refined, to domestic
>herbivores is a practice of surpassing ecological indecency.
I totally agree with this sentiment.

Question!

Is there any hard evidence that bone meal is of any use as a fertilizer? It
seems to me that it has become almost an act of faith to dump some bonemeal
in the planting hole. I have read somewhere, the opinion that the bone meal
we buy today, because it is so highly cooked and processed, virtually
useless as a source of phosphate.
It is outrageously expensive, here at least and my advice to customers is
forget the bone meal and buy another plant or two. Then any potential hazard
is irrelevant.
I would appreciate it if anyone could point me toward any published research
on this subject.

Thanks,
John Montgomery
monashee@bcgrizzly.com