Re: OT-PLANTS: moving amaryllis

You are right! I always thought that they wouldn't make it here in central
Arkansas. Last week I went up to the family farm and dug plants from my
Grandmother's garden (it was recently sold so it was now or maybe never).
No one has lived there in 15 years since they died. To my surprise, there
were Hippeastrums sprouting in her old flower beds. The soil is poverty
sand only a few inches above rock (so the bulbs were barely covered) and
the zone is solid USDA zone 6 (northern Arkansas)!

Beth Matney <bmatney@mail.snider.net>
Central Arkansas USDA Zone 7B