Re: HYB: Seed Germination

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Seed Germination
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:36:07 -0700 (MST)

Gary D Sides wrote:

> OK!  So you guys have bloom!  Well, I'm just very exceited that
> germination continues on my 4400 seeds!  Yesterday I counted about 25
> crosses that have begun and today there are many more with cracked dirt!
> So in a few days!
>
> After the blizzard last Monday night, I had to go out and shovel the snow
> off the cold frame lid to deep the plastic from collapsing.  And now with
> 50-60 degrees and bright sun every day since, they are really popping!
> Spring has really sprung!  'Bout time!
>
> *****   *****   *****   *****   *****   *****   *****   *****   *****   *****
> Gary D. Sides  south central MASS   USDA 5    Auburn (just outside Worcester)
> [172 Frost Free Days]  gdsides@160.91.128.2   Rebloom is Up and Coming!

Gary -- As far north as you are, I suppose that getting your seedlings
to germinate this early gives you a headstart for planting, which should
result in bigger plants with more increase going into next winter (all
other things being equal -- good soil, etc.) and maximum bloom next
year. My seedlings, planted in loaf pans in October and set outside in a
"coldframe" without a cover (i.e., an 8" deep 3' x 10' box sunk in the
ground), are just coming up now, at the same time as yours. I am several
hundred miles south of you. This is plenty early for me. I will
transplant them in June, if not before. It sounds like you have put a
plastic cover over yours, thus making a true cold frame. Do you want to
describe your process in a bit more detail for the benefit of others in
your zone who might wish to do likewise?

Griff Crump, near Mount Vernon, VA  jgcrump@erols.com