AB:Cultivars for the East

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: AB:Cultivars for the East
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 18:48:02 -0700 (MST)

Phyllis Soine wrote:

Are there other arilbreds that are vigorous enough to grow in humid
areas like Richmond, VA?

Phyllis -- As you know, I am 90 miles north of you, but still along the
tidal Potomac. Clarence gave me an arilbred several years ago that does
just fine in my garden. It is JEWEL OF OMAR (OB-), a pretty flower. I
planted it in a 2' x 2' wooden frame that raised it 6 inches above the
surrounding ground, and filled it with half garden soil and half sand. I
have moved it once since, giving it the same composition of soil. It is
past time to divide it. Let me know if you want some.

Griff Crump, near Mount Vernon, VA, where the warm, sunny day that was
forecast has turned overcast and chilly, driving the garden mapper
indoors. What's going on here --- Spring?