OT-Plants: Amarillyds

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-Plants: Amarillyds
  • From: "Michael Cook" <macook@iglou.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 19:08:44 -0700 (MST)

     I have been interested in the dissucussions on the Hippeastrums.  I am
not certain as to their hardiness, but it sounds as if they are under
rated.  I can tell you of two related plants that are hardy here.  I have a
type of Crinum that has not only been growing, it thrives here.  Although I
know it is definitely a Crinum, I am uncertain as to what variety or
species of Crinum it is.  It blooms in June and July, sometimes into
August.  The flowers are white with pink stripes.  The blooms smell like
peppermint.
    The other plant is the Sea Daffodil, generically known as Pancratium
maritinum. (spelling?)  While it will grow here, it is sometimes reluctant
to bloom, but when it does, it makes a real show.  The Sea Daffodil appears
to bloom best during summers with more 70 degree or higher nights.
     What type of Amaryllis was Sharon asking about?  If it was Lycoris, it
may be worth trying to move them if it can be done after the leaves die
back.

Mark A. Cook
macook@iglou.com
Lexington, KY   USDA Zone 5/6     Sunset Zone 35    Wind gusts to 50 MPH
Tonight.