Re: AB: FIRST BLOOM

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: AB: FIRST BLOOM
  • From: "J. F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 08:50:57 -0600 (MDT)

Hi  All,

Clarence Mahan writes about a tiny Evansia species native
to the Great Lakes region Iris lacustris. Only about 2 inches tall.

I've gone through the few books I have and can find no photo or description
that really answers my questions.

Is this the same type of iris commonly called "Dwarf Crested"? The small
clump I have somewhere under all the snow has leaves taller than 2" (closer
to 4") and blue violet blooms about 1" to 1 1/4" across. Mine will
absolutely not tollerate sun and prefers a light covering of leaf mould.

I would appreciate any info on this.

Thanks,
Christy Hensler

18 degrees this morning, but we'll have sunshine.
Northeast WA near the ID border.