AR: I. korolkowii influence (was regeliabreds)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: AR: I. korolkowii influence (was regeliabreds)
  • From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@CompuServe.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 09:01:22 -0600 (MDT)

WARNING:  This is gonna get technical.  You may want to hit that DELETE key, or
just file the following for future reference.

I found a message in my "In Basket", which usually means I haven't answered it.
My apologies if this is a duplication....

Tom Tadfor Little wrote:

:  There were some korolkowii/bearded hybrids registered and introduced (the
:  arilbred dwarf FALLEN LEAF comes to mind), but I can't for the life of me
:  think of any currently available arilbreds with strong korolkowii ancestry
:  and appearance.

:  Sharon?

Strong korolkowii appearance?  EMERALD FANTASY comes to mind.

I. korolkowii influence? That's a very different matter.  I. korolkowii is the
maternal species of both Hunt's ESTHER, THE QUEEN and Flanagan's DOVE SONG.  My
experiments with maternal inheritance, i.e. traits transmitted via
extrachromosomal DNA, show a strong influence on growth habits but  nothing
significant (so far) in terms of  flower characteristics.  I have come to
believe that I. korolkowii is the secret to the gardenability of ESTHER, THE
QUEEN and DOVE SONG -- as well as their descendants.  (Yes, there are probably
others, but these are the two I've researched.)

If you look at their registered descendants w.r.t. the odds:

Both have such abundant pollen that for each flower a ten-to-one ratio of
pollen-to-pod crosses is a conservative estimate -- and most hybridizers use the
pollen of a valued breeder on as many flowers as possible.  This is sometimes
known as the "Stud Factor".  Yet the majority of the registered descendants of
EQ & DS came from crosses in which they were pod parents.

I. korolkowii has thus had a strong, but subtle,  influence on currently
available arilbreds.  Many of them  have a contrasting korolkowii-style underlay
surrounding the beard, instead of the conventional onco-style signal -- and VERY
interesting things happen when these two types are crossed....

:  [I. korolkowii is so distinctive that it might be worthwhile to make a
:  program of crossing it with TBs. Although the offspring would likely be
:  sterile triploids, some might be attractive and gardenable enough to be
:  worth keeping.]

AND crossing with available, fertile amphidiploidlike hybrids with I. korolkowii
cytoplasm....

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)
Cleaning out files and chanting "O-PEN, O-PEN, O-PEN"