SPEC - CULT: Junos (was No Rain in NW)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: SPEC - CULT: Junos (was No Rain in NW)
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 09:32:52 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Rita!

I also grow Iris (Juno) bucharica, though I started with bulbs and not from
seed. As the species is native to Central Asia it seems to be quite happy
here where the climate has a lot in common with its homeland. My bucharicas
are not in bloom yet, of course. They usually bloom in mid-April, but the
cold weather all this past week may have set them back some. They are
certainly useful for filling the gap in the iris bloom season between the
early bulbous kinds and the first bearded bloom, as well as for their own
exotic beauty (Grow Junos and amaze your friends - the only iris in which
the standards hang down and the falls reach up!).

I. bucharica is the only species in this group that is at all commonly
grown. There are others, but they seem to be hard to come by and expensive
when available. I wonder if seed from different Juno species is available
through SIGNA?

Happy irising and enjoy your sunshine, you have earned it from what we have
heard of the sort of winter you had up your way!

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - where it's still dull and chilly like it has been all
week.