<< Is this the same type of iris commonly called "Dwarf Crested"? The small
 clump I have somewhere under all the snow has leaves taller than 2" (closer
 to 4") and blue violet blooms about 1" to 1 1/4" across. Mine will
 absolutely not tollerate sun and prefers a light covering of leaf mould.
Sound like you have Iris lacustris to me---my plants seem to grow smaller
than normal---but I'm just happy to keep them alive, as I failed a couple of
times with this species in the past.  It looks very similar to Iris cristata,
only smaller.  Clarence Mahan in VA