JI / SPEC "Rose Queen(s)"?

I wonder if someone would kindly clarify something for me. Fritz Kohlein, or
I guess it should be Koehlein, since I don't have an umlaut on this keyboard,
describes an Iris laevigata "ROSE QUEEN", (IRIS, p.234 gawjus photo, and
p.129 text) and, of course, one encounters many references to Iris ensata
"ROSE QUEEN" ( equally gawjus photo, Phillips and Rix, PERENNIALS, Vol.I,
P.228, ). Are these actually the same iris, that is, a pale pink variation of
the species ensata, or are they, in fact, forms of two separate species? The
fact that Koehlein to employ the term "kaempferi" instead of "ensata" does
not seem to be a factor since he himself notes that the seeds and foliage
provide clear distinguishing features between that and laevigata (p.129).
What's the story, please.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Henry Hall   henryanner@aol.com