Spec: I. verna, First Bloom

The first of the local native Iris verna opened today. Of the two clumps,
it was the one high on the hill (acid, clay soil) with excellent surface
drainage (It gets really hot and dry in summer). Of the TB's in bloom, the
very early old white (I. alba?) were in wonderful bloom and many clumps of
an unknown purple. All of my I. cristata finished a week ago. Oh yes, an
antique (100+ years) yellow from E. Texas that I planted last year (Thanks
Sharon R.!) opened today also. Most of the I. pallida are in bud, but none
are ready to open.

Beth Matney <bmatney@mail.snider.net>
central Arkansas USDA zone 7b