Re: TB: BLOOM/HAIL

> I don't mean to depress the list, but I must relate the horrible day of
> April 3rd. My previous postings listed several TB's in full bloom. Not
> anymore! Nine inches of rain and 1/2" hail completely destroyed foliage
> and more esthetically, blooms (OHHH NOOO). The iris look like Freddy
> Krueger went through the farm in a very bad mood.  Since I've never
> experienced such horrible destruction, should I trim the foliage or
> leave the poor shreds hanging? To take the stress off the plants I have
> cut more than 150 bloomstalks.

What he said :-( actually, my bloom season being so delayed and not having
had any hail, I may fare all right.  My first iris turned out NOT to be
CELEBRATION SONG, but, I believe ROAD SONG, a freebie from Ghio.  I do not
have a full description of it but it fits best -- white standards,
buff-honey coloured falls, "tangerine" beards, with some darker
maroon-purple veining near where the falls and standards meet.  Does this
sound like it to you?

My camera broke in an expensive and time-consuming way and the rain ruined
the first two blooms of the iris, though there is a third bud hanging in
there.

I hope the rest will not be too affected.  There was puddled water around
the rhizomes for a day but it has all dried in our 80 degree heat the last
three days.
--
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, USDA zone 8b, Sunset zone 30