  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: TB: BLOOM/HAIL
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 17:28:13 -0600 (MDT)

Cliff Snyder wrote:
> I don't mean to depress the list, but I must relate the horrible day of
> April 3rd. My previous postings listed several TB's in full bloom. Not
> anymore! Nine inches of rain and 1/2" hail completely destroyed foliage
> and more esthetically, blooms (OHHH NOOO). The iris look like Freddy
> Krueger went through the farm in a very bad mood.  Since I've never
> experienced such horrible destruction, should I trim the foliage or
> leave the poor shreds hanging? To take the stress off the plants I have
> cut more than 150 bloomstalks.

Cliff -- Those of us who have suffered devastating garden losses know
the disappointment and frustration you must feel --- but take heart, you
still HAVE your plants. I wouldn't trim any foliage just yet unless it
is broken, or lying on the ground or showing evidence of disease. The
fans are still taking in nutrients for the plant. Later, when you would
normally dig and divide, you may want to trim them if they're still
ragged. Look forward to next year.