Re: Hybridizers and dates.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Hybridizers and dates.
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 21:01:40 -0600 (MDT)

Mark Cook writes in response to an inquiry from sharlyn Rocha (7 Apr 97):

>  		I. pallida (Gerade, 1596)

The correct spelling of the name is Gerard, and since I. pallida is a
naturally occuring species, he was, of course, not the hybridizer, or even
the introducer, except in the limited sense that as the author of a well
known Elizabethan herbal, he gave the first printed "scientific"
description of this iris in English (in the year cited above by Mark) .
>      I cannot find reference of a Zebra Pallida, but the 1939 Checklist
> listed a TB Iris called ZEBRA.  But, it is listed as obsolete, so it is
> probably not the same Iris you are inquiring about.

"Zebra" is the commonly applied "street" name for the form of I. pallida
with creamy or light yellow (not white) variegation on the leaves, but it
has no formal or "official" status. The most correct name for this form of
pallida is I. pallida 'Aurea variegata'.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
"This is the Place" - where it has been so cold for the past week that all
plant growth has stopped dead in its tracks.