Re: CULT: Advice on Feeding Iris in early season, Zone 4

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Advice on Feeding Iris in early season, Zone 4
  • From: Patricia Wenham <prw@televar.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 21:53:12 -0600 (MDT)

Scott "Doc" Holloway wrote:

> Second time around!
>         I am not receiving AIS bulletin nor able to order a book to
> answer this question in a timely manner so I ask again.
>         My TBs are up 3-5 inches.  Should I feed them something?
>
> Scott Holloway, Plattsmouth NE
>Scott,

I will quote from "The World of Iris" pg 315.
We should not become so preoccupied by the beauty of the spring bloom
that we forget the next year's bloom potential, nor relax our cultural
efforts as soon as the bloom is past.  On established clumps including
those to be transplanted, applications of low nitrogen fertilizer are
called for well in advance of bloom, since it takes about 30 days for
most fertilizers to become chemically available to the plant.  The
developing plant needs additional nutrition and constant moisture during
the 6 to 8 week period of active underground growth following bloom and
again during the period of late summer growth.

In planning a program for fertilizing irises, a chemical analysis of
your soil is helpful.  However, a standard formula for general use is
approximately 6-10-6.  If your supplier cannot furnish this formula you
can combine the separate components, ammonium nitrate, superphosphate &
potash, into a comparable formula.  Planats need all of these 3 major
elements.  It is a mistake to starve plants of nitrogen entirely, even
though overuse can cause soft growth and subseequent rot.  Bonemeal,
widely & sometimes exclusively used as a source of phosphates, is not as
readily available in sufficient quantity as superphosphate.  An excess
of potash will not have negative results.

Use a small handful of chemical fertilizer per planat if it is to be
worked in around or under the plant.  Use half again as much if it is to
be scattered over the bed and worked in before planting.

I hope this helps.

Patti Wenham USDA zone 5 where there is still very little new growth and
the nights are twenty degrees with daytime temps as high as fifty
degrees.  It is dry and dust is blowing here.  A couple miles away there
was a snowstorm last week.