Re: AR: favorite arilbreds (semi-lengthy)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: AR: favorite arilbreds (semi-lengthy)
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 23:47:56 -0600 (MDT)

Tom Tadfor Little wrote:

> I'm getting the Aril Society yearbook ready for publication, and I have a
> special request for Iris-L members who grow arilbreds. Send me a paragraph
> (or two or three or ...) by email (you may copy Iris-L if you like) telling
> me what your favorite arilbreds are and why.

Tom:

Great timing--our arilbred beds are at PEAK bloom right now so that is
easy to do!  Hope we don't have too many favorites!  Arilbreds grow
wonderfully and easily here in the Central California foothills!  Anyway
here go our favorites:

SILENT TEARS (Peterson 91)--very vigorous light violet splashed with
blue-violet "tears"--we used to call this iris the "Batik of our
arilbreds".  Never fails to put on a fabulous show and is the #1 seller
among our arilbreds every year.  A clump in full bloom is a beauty to
behold!  Any grower of arilbreds SHOULD try Silent Tears--you'll just
love it!!

KUZA-NAMA (Hager 83)--lavenderish standards and "glowing" orangish
falls.  The falls radiate that neon-like orange glow that will STOP you
in your tracks.

EMERALD FANTASY (Tate 83)--creamy lavender STRONGLY netted and veined in
rich dark purple--no emerald in sight, but one of our earlier and
showiest arilbreds.  On its' last flowers here now.

ONLOOKER (Hager 85)--Ohhh, that LARGE blackish circular signal is
surely an eye-catcher!  If I had to pick just a singular flower as the
most beautiful arilbred flower, it would be a large, perfectly formed
flower of Onlooker!  And it does grow large flowers here.

GENETIC ARTIST (Danielson 72)--hard to describe, but the flowers are a
nice mixture of lavender, blue, yellow, and white all swirled up to
perfection!  Open standards, but that just adds to the allure of the
flower.

TEL AVIV (D Foster 70)--dark maroon almost totally covered with veins of
greyish-maroon; big, bold and showy.

These would be the 6 arilbreds we'd grow if we only had room for six!

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens--Central California Sierra Nevada foothills
Zone 8--prime arilbred growing country