Re: CULT: Advice on Feeding Iris in early season, Zone 4

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Advice on Feeding Iris in early season, Zone 4
  • From: David Silverberg <sil1812@molalla.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 03:48:42 -0600 (MDT)

Scott "Doc" Holloway wrote:
> Second time around!
>         I am not receiving AIS bulletin nor able to order a book to
> answer this question in a timely manner so I ask again.
>         My TBs are up 3-5 inches.  Should I feed them something?  Should
> I bother?  This will be the first season since I planted the rizhome
> last fall.  I didn't put anything on them when I planted them due to
> my ignorance.  I'm concerned about giving them a good start.
> Thanks in advance,
> Scott Holloway, Plattsmouth NE
> Zone 4 and worried about record cold the next couple nights.

Hi Scott;

The info quoted from the World of Irises is excellent, however, don't
run right out and do anything quite yet. You say more cold is on the
way, so you don't want to encourage any great amount of tender new
growth until the danger of hard frosts and freezing is over. Then use  a
good fertilizer as suggested, or use Rick Tasco's suggestion of alfalfa
pellets. The choice is yours. Maybe try a test using one on some and the
other on another group to decide which you like best for the next round,
which will come after bloom. At any rate, don't rush it too much. The
little devils are really very hardy. Whatever you do, enjoy!!

Nancy Silverberg
Molalla, OR