Freezing weather

My irises had leaves approx. 6 inches in height, no bloom stalks, and two
days ago we had freezing weather.  This freezing weather seems to be
continuing all week.  Yesterday I noticed the leaves had suffered obvious
damage.  Does this mean I have lost the potential of bloom for the season?
 Could I be losing the plant all together?  Any experience or knowledge would
be appreciated.  I am just sick about the thought of losing my new iris bed.
Margaret Booth
Lincoln, Nebraska
Zone 5