Re: CULT: Advice on Feeding Iris in early season, Zone 4

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Advice on Feeding Iris in early season, Zone 4
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <KOEKKOEK@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 12:17:11 -0600 (MDT)

Scott Holloway asks if he should feed his new iris.  Based on my own
experience in this area (I'm north of you a couple hundred (give or
take a few) miles) I would say you needn't do anything, especially if
this is new iris ground.  Certainly don't give any nitrogen-rich
fertilizer, if anything something with high middle number
(phosphorus) might be appropriate.  Or incorporate alfalfa meal or
pellets, some advocated on this list a few months ago.  I've never
tried the latter, but I'm going to experiment this spring (if it ever
comes in earnest so one can work the soil).

Arnold Koekkoek
NW Iowa  Zone 4

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250