Re: Hybridizers and dates.

In a recent mailing, I read:-

"I. pallida (Gerade, 1596)  The correct spelling of the name is Gerard,
and since I. pallida is a naturally occuring species, he was, of course,
not the hybridizer, or even  the introducer, except in the limited sense
that as the author of a well known Elizabethan herbal, he gave the first
printed "scientific" description of this iris in English."

In searching my mind for rules of classification, I thought that there
was one rule which states that species names could only be assigned to
descriptions after Linnaeus (1707-1778). Mathew's uses Iris pallida
Lamm. (Jean Baptiste Lamarck, I assume whose's dates are 1744-1829,
according to my old high school text).  Lamarck certainly named many
species and I have examined some of his crabs in the museum in Paris.

Gerard may have described pallida but I do not think that one can ascibe
the species to him.

Ian

Ottawa, still cold at 0C today, but much less snow.  I can see the iris
plants and one crocus was silly enough to burst open only to find
conditions were not really hospitable.