Re: SPEC-graminea SIGNA seed.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC-graminea SIGNA seed.
  • From: David Silverberg <sil1812@molalla.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:14:37 -0600 (MDT)

Ian E. Efford wrote:

> John
>
> Many thanks for your comments.  I appreciate that SIGNA seeds may not be
> accurately labelled and was wondering if anyone else had experienced the
> same problem with those two batches of seeds.  Neither seem accurately
> labelled.
>
> I have quite a collection of irises but began about three-four years ago
> from seed so that not too many are flowering yet.  This year should be
> the first one when I get a lot of species flowering.
>
> I have been donating seed but solely to our local Ottawa Valley Rock
> Garden Society where I am beginning to build up quite a lot of local
> interest in irises.  We might even get a branch of AIS established over
> the next couple of years, at least it has been under discussion.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Ian

Ian, there was a gentleman in charge of the arboretum (I think) in
Ottawa, whose name escapes me at the moment. However he was very
interested in the irises there, and I wonder if he is still in
residence. If so, you might want to touch bases with him. He was really
doing a number in cleaning up many of the misnamed plants and cultivars.
Perhaps Gloria MacMillen could remember his name. He was the speaker at
the CIS Annual meeting one fall, and even brought rebloomers. She is on
line, so you might want to check with her.

Nancy Silverberg
Molalla, OR, where it is raining again today, enabling me to take care
of all my correspondence before the sun shines again, (I hope!)