Re: JI / SPEC "Rose Queen(s)"?

Clarence, The Expert on this plant, responded:

<< The iris that travel's in Europe under the name I. laevigata "Rose Queen"
 really a Japanese iris (I. ensata), and is, in fact the same one we grow as
 ROSE QUEEN.  Koelein's proclivity for error is boundless, and there is not a
 page in his book that is without error(s) I do believe >>

He's apparently not the only one who has been confused on this point. I noted
the same error in IRISES, by Judith M. Berrisford, London:1961, p.114, which
made me start wondering.I have concluded that a lot of the nonsenses of
Koehlein's book may be attributed to a crummy translator. I am hoping that
Clarence's forthcoming book will remedy much of the problem.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com