Re: Freezing weather

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Freezing weather
  • From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:08:07 -0600 (MDT)

> My irises had leaves approx. 6 inches in height, no bloom stalks, and two
> days ago we had freezing weather.  This freezing weather seems to be
> continuing all week.  Yesterday I noticed the leaves had suffered obvious
> damage.  Does this mean I have lost the potential of bloom for the season?
>  Could I be losing the plant all together?  Any experience or knowledge would
> be appreciated.  I am just sick about the thought of losing my new iris bed.
Margaret,
	I am sorry for you but if you have no buds showing you will probably
come through it in pretty good shape depending on how cold and for how
long.
	Our medians are in full bloom down here and our early show is, or
should I say was to be Saturday.  We are expecting temps to drop to 25
tonight and there goes the bloom.  Not much chance of recovery in time
for the show either.  I am even more worried about roses and fruit
trees.  This would have been the first time we had gotten fruit from our
plums.  The roses are all leafed out and this freeze will probably hurt
them all.  Such is life in West Texas.  I went outside just before dark
and cut 20 stalks of things I had to see.  At least I will have iris in
the house.:-(
--
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
17.76"