Re: JI / SPEC "Rose Queen(s)"?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: JI / SPEC "Rose Queen(s)"?
  • From: Ensata@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:33:41 -0600 (MDT)

In a message dated 97-04-08 00:57:34 EDT, Anner wrote:

<<  Are these actually the same iris, that is, a pale pink variation of
 the species ensata, or are they, in fact, forms of two separate species? >>

Anner, John from Ensata here.
They are, there are, two different plants with the same name!  Fun and games
with the name-game.  Clarence Mahan has officially registered the name ROSE
QUEEN with AIS for the pink, species form of I. ensata.   But there is also a
pink, species form of I. laevigata called Rose Queen.  As of this date,
ensata ROSE QUEEN is widely available in the U.S. and laevigata Rose Queen is
not known to be available in the U.S.  I would like to help confuse the
problem by acquiring a division of the laevigata Rose Queen!   I will trade 5
divisions of ensata ROSE QUEEN for One division of the laevigata!  I don't
know how Bill would trade for these?!!  Their dates of recognition
(introduction?) would probably be something like 1743 vs 1667 !!   Hey,
that's only 4 divisions, Bill ! ;-))

PS  There are several I. laevigata  cultivars in Japan with the same
transliterated name as I. ensata cultivars in Japan.  They haven't had a
registration system.  One can find 7 or 8 cultivars with the same name!  Oh,
a book could be written on this topic!         John Coble in Michigan.