MED: Bloom at last!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: MED: Bloom at last!
  • From: Lois Rose <lros@loc.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:34:21 -0600 (MDT)

Finally!  I arrived home last night to find REFINED and JEWEL BABY
blooming their little hearts out.  Also, one bloom each on ISHMEAL and
RAINBOW SHERBERT.  My bloom charts show these are all blooming 2-3 weeks
ahead of their average time.

After reading reports of TB bloom north of me (DC) and south (Richmond) I
was begining to dispair, since the SDBs were hardly showing signs of
bloom, let alone TBs.  Interesting how much difference little
microclimates can make.  I live in a cold pocket between DC and Richmond,
all of us theoretically within USDA Zone 7.

The redbud is in full bloom, the dogwoods, lilacs, and azaleas are
starting.  With my first SDBs in bloom, life is good.  I love spring and
feel for those with snow still on the ground, or with hail damaged
gardens!  And now we are getting hard freeze warnings for the next 2
nights.  No! No!

Lois Rose, in central Virginia,
25 mi. SW of Fredericksburg in southern Spotsylvania County,
on a little hill overlooking my murky farm pond in the middle of 50 acres
USDA Zone 7; peak TB bloom May 15